Friday, June 15, 2007

Filling up the world of Bongolesia

Since all I had to do with the factions was decide who best represented what (one of the beautiful things about a pre-painted game), now I can get to the nitty-gritty; namely the terrain.

For inspiration, I decided to look to a Bongolesia game that was played during our local May Madness convention in 2005. The scenario was set in the rural metropolis of Jamboville with the forces of BARF raiding the town to try to make off with their pigs while the NDF was trying to drive the BARF back and the UN forces looked on in bewilderment. So how did the game end? No idea to be honest, but there were enough pics taken of the table that I was able to plot out the town on a 4' x 6' table with a few new buildings added just to make things interesting.

With all this in mind, I drew out the town on graph paper and figured out what I need to build to be able to play this at our next summer games day in mid July. It seems like it could be a daunting task with only just over a month to do it all, but at least with no minis to paint I can just focus on cranking out the terrain.

All told, I need to build the following...
  • at least two ruined buildings (more if time and my own whims allow)
  • the Bongolesian Market (Bongo-Mart anyone?)
  • a UN building
  • two Residential buildings (two or three story apartments)
  • four groups of shanties (I wanna be an instant slumlord!)
  • three buildings for Old M'Doo Nal's farm (including the pig pen)
  • a state of the art single theater cineplex
  • a free standing communications building
  • 17 dirt road sections
  • four large forests

So far, I have most of the road sections done (the joy of felt) and I already have cloth to represent the forests, I just need to cut it to shape. As for buildings, I have already started both the theater and comm building (pics coming soon) and as for the rest... we'll just have to see how much I can get done over the weekend.

No comments: